Twitter a popular source for vaccine information: Study

Twitter a popular source for vaccine information: Study

Twitter has emerged as a well-liked and reliable Source for receiving and sharing new details about vaccines, a new US Study has found.

Researchers from the College of Texas at Austin analysed 9,510 vaccination-related tweets from one week in January, 2012 to determine The Preferred and influential messages.

A closing sample of 2,580 tweets that had got engagement thru re-posting and sharing used to be then coded for frequency of sharing, tone towards vaccinations, links to sources (eg, Information outlets, advocacy teams, or healthcare suppliers), and whether or not the claims being made in each tweet have been scientifically substantiated.

General, 33 per cent of the two,580 tweets carried a favorable tone about vaccines, 54 per cent have been neutral, and 13 per cent have been terrible.

Of the 14 per cent of tweets that contained Scientific knowledge, more than two-thirds offered content substantiated by scientific Analysis, in line with an Elsevier statement.

The Most Popular messages concerned a possible youngsters’s malaria vaccine, construction of the NeuVax E-Seventy Five vaccine for breast cancer, the effectiveness of a herpes vaccine in ladies, the Facilities for Illness Regulate and Prevention’s recommendation of a human papilloma virus vaccination for boys, attainable popularity of a lung most cancers vaccine, and a weblog Post discrediting vaccine-autism connections.

Prevalent knowledge sources shared through tweets integrated well being-particular websites similar to WebMD (Sixteen per cent of 341 links), US media akin to the brand new York Occasions (Thirteen per cent), Scientific firms such as the American Clinical Affiliation (12 per cent), and digital News aggregators together with the Huffington Publish (10 per cent).

“Information and health enterprises bought mostly certain consideration when put next with political or advocacy teams, indicating customers are favourably viewing centered sources in their well being-data in quest of,” the authors mentioned.

“On This sample, it appears that Twitter customers share largely reputable knowledge and sources whereas actively mobilising others to seek dependable well being knowledge,” they said.

“Results of the photo can assist provide an explanation for what social media content material sufferers consume and respond to, in addition to assist decide directions for tutorial campaigns,” they stated.

The Study was published in the American Journal of Infection Regulate, the reliable newsletter of the Association for Experts in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC).

Source: PTI

From the unusual to the funny and the downright bizarre, Under this Author we bring you sample of social media news news from around the world, along with photos, quotes and other story. All the stories under this author are reproduction of famous stories around the globe. And we with full responsibility accept that they are not creation of our own , it is just that we add bit of information and content to make it a perfect mix of ingredients and make them ready to serve to our loved users.

Comments

comments

15 Comments to “Twitter a popular source for vaccine information: Study”

1. I am doing an essay on Malaria, the malaria is beginning to ‘outsmart’ our medicines for malaria. How can science solve this, and what are the negatives and positives?

2. Roflcopter // June 4, 2013 at 1:26 am // Reply

How do pathogens act differently in humans compared to animals? Why, for example, are mosquitoes able to carry malaria without harming themselves? HIV/AIDS and rabies are diseases that can be transmitted from animals to humans, but are there any diseases that can be passed from human to animals?

3. Scorch Delta-62 // June 4, 2013 at 2:01 am // Reply

I am 14 and will be going to Ethiopia this summer. I have never been and would like to know what vaccines I will need. Also, I would like to know how painful the vaccines are.

4. i am doing a school project and i need to know what benefits the United stated get from helping africa with their malaria problem, like is it geographical, cultural, political, economical, sociological, or physiological? and how?

5. What affect would a sickle cell vaccine have on the frequency of the sickle cell allele in Africa? If the vaccine works will the sickle cell allele be removed from the world?

6. Flash Funk // June 4, 2013 at 1:13 pm // Reply

Why would a company undergo the costly R&D process for a product for people who don’t have buying power?

7. davemc74656 // June 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm // Reply

In the next ten years how do you think that the child mortality rate will be affected by malaria? Will it increase? Will it decrease? Please give facts to back up your answer!

8. We are moving to live in Nicaragua for 4 years assignment. So we need to know what vaccines should be taken before entering the country.

9. Mackenzie P // June 5, 2013 at 1:08 am // Reply

Why is malaria such a significant hazard in Africa?

10. The Villain // June 5, 2013 at 3:27 am // Reply

It would take most people about a week worth of pay to equal what 2 seconds worth of malaria vaccine for the African continent costs.
    At $17 an hour (average in the US) what could be shown that is equal to one hour of time for Americas labor wage?

11. I know it’s recommended but only necessary if I’m coming from Africa or South America. On my flight, I have a stop at Doha, Qatar for 2 hrs. Seeing as how Qatar is in Africa (guessing), will I still need to take the shot even though I’ll be in the airport the entire time? I’m going to Hyderabad btw. Also if U can tell me what vaccines I’ll need, that would be great.

12. This summer me and my mom are planning to go to Guatemala. I want to go but this will be my first time outside the US. I’m asking if I have to get any shots because I am also interested in going to Bolivia since my dad is Bolivian. But I read I’d have to get some vaccines first before going to Bolivia.

My mom is Guatemalan and was born there, etc. And she told me she never had to get shots, but I assume not because she’s from there. I was born here in the US so I don’t know.

13. musicistabest // June 5, 2013 at 6:03 am // Reply

Does the Coast Guard also get the anthrax vaccine?
    Redleg I didn’t type that the Coast Guard wasn’t part of the military. My question implies that the Coast Guard is part of the military so I don’t know why your telling all this extra information on how the Coast Guard is part of the military. Since most of the Coast Guard activities are in the U.S. I thought that the vaccines may differ.

14. I’m going to Zambia in the fall. I have already gotten typhoid & hepatitis A & B vaccines. The travel health clinic nurse said I need to decide whether to get meningitis and rabies vaccines, which are more expensive. Does anyone know how great the risks of these diseases is in Africa, and whether it is worth getting the shots?

15. What vaccines (shots, immunizations) do I need to be up to date on if I go to Caracas, Los Roques, Tucupita (in the Orinoco delta) and Melia in Venezuela?

I will be traveling there for one week in September. Also, what other meds do I need–malaria prevention?